A vehicle is made from different components where the gear shift indicator near the gear will let you know whether you are on the drive, park, reverse, or neutral. So, the gear shift indicator light is also an important component that notifies you regarding the type of gear you apply. In this article, you will learn about gear shift indicator light not working and the reasons and solutions for this problem.
You might have encountered several issues in your vehicle, gear shift issue is also one such problem that most drivers will encounter, so don’t worry when your gear shift indicator light is not working. As this article will teach, you the causes of the problem and the methods by which you can solve the issue.
You might feel very comfortable and easy when you have your own vehicle. Although you maintain the car well, mostly after prolonged use, the parts will start to wear, and you will encounter certain issues.
One such issue that most drivers will encounter is the gear shift indicator light not working, where you will have to check on the issue and fix it properly so that you can drive safely. The gear shift indicator light not working may be because of the wearing of a component or other related causes. By reading the article, you can gain some knowledge that will help you fix the problem.
How does Gear Shift Indicator Light Work?
Before looking at the gear shift indicator light problem, let’s see how it works. Although you can drive without the gear shift indicator light, it is placed in the vehicle to ensure which gear you are on. When you change gear from park to drive, the gear shift indicator light will change from P to D.
some people think that the gear shift indicator light is not essential to drive the vehicle, although it is true this component will make the drive safe and easy. The gear shift in your car is the most important part that will help you shift from one gear to another, and you can identify the change in the gear using the gear shift indicator light.
The bulb and electrical connector will blink the gear shift indicator light when you change the gears. If you are driving in dim or dark light, the gear shift indicator light will help detect in which gear the vehicle is performing.
Hence if you are a person who frequently checks the gear shift indicator light, then this will be an important component for you. Therefore, when the gear shift indicator light not working, you must identify and fix it adequately.
The Reasons for Gear Shift Indicator Light Not Working
Before you step into solutions, it is better to understand why the gear shift indicator light is not working. When the driver depends on the gear shift indicator light while driving, suddenly when it is malfunctioning, he will face challenges in identifying the gear shift. If you are also facing the same problem and wondering the reasons then continue reading the article.
- When there is a problem with the gear shift indicator light, you might sometimes notice the engine light turns on all of a sudden. Although there are many reasons for the sudden operation of the engine light, a malfunctioning gear shift indicator light can also be a reason, but this is very rare.
- One risky and problematic case is when you realize the gear shifter indicator is not performing correctly. An incorrect function will make the improper gear blink when the driver is actually in another gear. Suppose you are putting the vehicle on neutral, but if the gear shift indicator shows drive, this depicts a problem with the gear shift indicator light. Sometimes the improper functioning of the lights may be due to a problem in the gear shift.
- Sometimes, you will encounter situations like changing the gear shift will keep blinking the previous gear without changing. Suppose you are switching from drive to park, but the light will still be blinking park, and this will happen if there is an issue in the gear shift indicator light. Mostly the cause for this issue is misalignments in the gear shift indicator.
- Another common issue for the faulty gear shift indicator light is certain problems with the electric connector or the bulb. Due to prolonged usage, the bulb might burn out and will not blink. And if there are any issues in the electric connector, you might experience faulty gear shift indicator light.
How to Solve Gear Shift Indicator Light Not Working Problem?
Now you will know about the gear shift indicator light not working, and the reason for it. You can solve this problem by detecting the issue and going for a proper solution among the solutions presented below.
- When the engine light turns on, suddenly then better go to a professional and examine the issue. If there is any defect in the gear shift indicator light, you might have to replace the bulb to fix the problem.
- When the gear shift indicator light improperly functions, the issue will be mostly related to the light or the connection, so you must repair it to make the system function properly.
- Due to misalignment, sometimes the light will not change correctly when you change the gear, so check this issue and properly align to fix the problem. Better to reach out to a mechanic to fix this problem.
- The burning bulb is another problem you can only solve by replacing new bulbs. And if there is any connection issue in the electro connector, you will be able to fix the problem by repairing it.
How to Replace the Gear Shift Indicator Bulb?
If you detect the issue with the bulb and you have to replace it, then you can do it yourself by following the steps below.
- Buy the relevant bulb for the gear shift indicator of your vehicle.
- Remove the shifter by gently prying around or using a screwdriver, which will depend on the type of shifter in your vehicle.
- Now you will be able to find the location of the bulb and connector. Before replacing, verify whether the new bulb and connector belong to the same model.
- Then you can replace the bulb and connector and fix the shifter back. This method will solve the problem.
This article on gear shift indicator light not working will help you understand the problem so that you can step into the required solutions. We hope this article was helpful.
- Can You Use 5w30 Instead of 5w20 And What Happens If You Do So?
- Is It Okay To Drive With Check Engine Light With Down Arrow?